Pages

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Why I do not want to help students anymore

Every semester I try my level best to help my students. I was a student before and I always wanted to do well and when I see them looking for help I remember my student time and I help. A lot of times I may not be able to help as much as I wished, but I try.

I do not expect any thank you note for that, but what I got today's mail was a wake up call for me. Here is the mail [minus the names]

=============================================================
From: student 1 <xxxx@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 2:22 AM
Subject: Urgent.Emergency(unity);
To: avijit.paul@mmu.edu.my



Dear my beloved Sir,

We’re having problems with our unity. The submission is due on next Monday. We’re running out of time. We don’t want to fail this course. Please, please, please help us.  We are so desperate. This is not fair, we have tried our best. We give all our heart and soul to this project. Everyone else got interaction. But we don’t even know how to publish our work. Which selection to choose, ya? Is it the OSX standalone? What is OSX?

With this email we attach our unity file. Please do the third person controller with hovering, floating effect. Then the user can boost the speed of the character after collecting stuff. Please do all nicely. We don’t have enough time to do this assignment because we want to watch anime and play games. Please ya! You are my only hope.

Then put extra FX to make our environment fantastic and beautiful for bonus marks. I really really need this. We know nothing about unity, so please do everything for us, ya!
You are the nicest lecturer we know.

After you finish, please burn in CD and design the cover for us. Remember to use the thin jewel case. Please remember ya, this is very important! We don’t want to fail this course. We don’t want to waste our parents’ money.

Finally, submit the CD to [lecturer 1] on Monday between 2-4pm. Please don’t be late. We can’t go submit on Monday because we will be at Singapore “jalan-jalan cari makan”(please google this) I really really hope you’ll understand our situation. Please don’t tell Mr. Mazlan that you do all our Unity stuff. Keep it secret, till death do us part. Please please, we don’t want to fail this course.

That’s all for this sem. We’ll be back to ask you to do our assign for FYP.

PS:  Oh btw, how to export Max to Unity?


Sincerely,
Student 1 and student 2

PSS: Please take this with a bit of sarcasm. Don’t take this seriously. This is the joke of the semester!

======================================================= 

I replied

======================================================= 


Thanks for writing this mail, although both of you probably have crossed the line by miles, but it was a good realization mail. 
Even though it makes me sad to read this email as I really believed [student 3] needed help on the unity part so I tried to help as much as I could even though I did not get to help much. But after your reading your email I understand my mistake. I was trying too hard to help and most probably I am not going to help anyone ever and will show the email [minus the names] as a reference why I dont want to help. 



======================================================= 

Anyone who is reading it might think why cant I just take a sarcastic email? After all it is a joke and they have exaggerated a bit too much and it is probably a good fun. The problem is that,  recently I took a lot of criticism from a number of faculty members for helping too much. I digested all of it thinking I am trying to do a greater good as the students probably really need help. 


It takes a lot of my time and effort to find ways to solve problems. I spend a good number of hours trying to solve this technical issues that I could have used for my own work. I still did because I believed it will help. 


But after this, please dont bother asking for help. 

The door has been shut, at least for the rest of my time in MMU. 

8 comments:

  1. you serious about that? Some student actually ask you to design the CD cover?! Lol...

    ReplyDelete
  2. that was the exaggerated part. After a few emails the student told me that many students has the following view about me helping them

    "if got problem, see Avijit. Let him figure the problem out, I’m going to Alamanda and watch movie. Then after, he manages to solve the problem I’m sure he will call me. If the problem can’t be solved, it’s ok. I will tell my lecturer that Avijit can’t find the solutions. Then I just submit whatever I have. Done. Easy"

    Which is well, troubling for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a exaggerated version? No wonder it sounds so much like written by a lecturer... I actually started to thought it was a VR lecturer who wrote it... lol

    And yeah, that's what Vincent told me the other day (if got problem, ask Avijit... submit whatever I have thingy)...

    Now I kinda feel bad, because a few of my classmates asked me for my help, but I refuse to because I'd already have too many problem to solve on my own...

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, it was written by the student. When I said exaggerated I meant, the student made is very exaggerated - no one actually asked me for a CD cover design!!! That wont fall under helping already!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. whoa sir. this makes me very curious about the email sender. tsk tsk tsk. why can't they at least own up to their mistakes rather than pointing their fingers to you when they can't find the solutions?

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG..Such thing really happening now?

    Same goes to me.. Curious about the email sender..
    The sender really made everything messed up..

    ReplyDelete
  7. but sir, you are really a good lecturer. i remember those days that i have difficult to even model a simple 3d model but when you start to teach me, i manage to model and until now i still remember it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Naju and HT: I think it is my fault rather than the sender. I am sure the person wanted to inform. But the person choose a very distintive way to inform which unfortunately I could not appreciate.

    What actually makes it worse is, few years back when that student was not doing well I asked what the problem was. When I heard it was financial I asked many people if they can help. Unfortunately I did not get help, but it made me sad that for the same person whom I went around and asked help for decides to send a sarcastic letter.

    They were clearly unhappy with their groupmate, but I just felt this is the wrong way to express it.

    @ Nadirah : Thanks a lot for your kind words. It makes me happy to hear that.

    ReplyDelete